An up-to-date WordPress installation is as safe as it can be, plugins however can often pose a security risk because they’re not maintained by hundreds of contributors. A plugin is as secure as the security knowledge of the developer allows it to be. In some cases this creates loopholes for exploits. WP Plugin Security Check checks plugins for bad practices and possible security holes limiting the risk of a compromised WordPress installation to a ‘hate to say I told you so’.
- Upload the folder `wp-plugin-security-check` to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- You’re all done.
- Squashed a minor bug. Thanks to Julio Potier.
- Added another way to check for image files to reduce the number of false positives.
- Included checks for variable execution and the PHP function eval.
- First version of the plugin.